Job Title: Research Intern (full-time, temporary, 6-month position)
The Policy & Research Group (PRG), based in New Orleans, specializes in research and evaluation of public policy and programs. We apply high-quality social science methodology to study a broad range of areas, including: education, public health, child welfare, work and income, housing, and adolescent risk reduction. PRG is an Equal Opportunity Employer. PRG operates a casual work environment that is both professionally and intellectually demanding. See www.policyandresearch.com for more information.
This position is a full-time temporary position lasting from June to November 2017. As a temporary position, the person hired will not receive the benefits offered to full-time employees such as paid time off and medical and dental benefits. Pending funding, it is possible that this may become a permanent full-time position.
The person hired will assist with a number of on-going research projects, including the Freshmen Focus Study, a federally-funded study of a peer-to-peer mentoring intervention designed to improve educational outcomes and reduce teen pregnancy and related risk behaviors in 9th graders. PRG is conducting a randomized control trial (RCT) to test the efficacy of this intervention at multiple high schools in New York City and North Carolina. The study requires the administration of questionnaires to participants at enrollment (start of 9th grade school year) and two follow-up data collection points (start of 10th and 11th grade school years). This position will require some out-of-state travel to both New York City and North Carolina. Travel expenses will be reimbursed.
• 0-1 year experience
• B.A./B.S. required
• Strong interest in conducting high-quality research
• Strong organizational skills and exceptional attention to detail
• Comfortable talking and working with adolescents
• Excellent communication skills and computer skills, including Word and Excel
• Commitment to PRG’s mission: To improve the potential of people through scientifically rigorous research and evaluation that benefits our clients and influences policy
• Reliable and consistent transportation required
• Ability to work a flexible schedule; some evening and weekend hours will be required
• Provide assistance and support for PRG evaluation and research projects
• Assist with the coordination of and preparation for data collection
• Organize, maintain, and manage follow-up data collection materials and incentives
• Implement participant tracking system
• Maintain contact with all study participants while they are enrolled in the study
• Assist with on-site data collections, including contacting and meeting with study participants to coordinate and collect follow-up data
• Maintain high participant follow-up questionnaire completion rates
• Conduct data entry and quality assurance checks
• Provide assistance and support for PRG Research Analysts
• General administrative duties to support the project such as photocopying, filing, organizing, making phone calls, scheduling meetings, preparing documents
Starting Wage: $15.00/hour
Hours: This is a full-time position. Some evening and weekend hours will be required.
Location: This position will be based in PRG’s New Orleans office at 8434 Oak Street.
Please email a cover letter, resume, unofficial college transcripts, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please make sure to include “PRG Research Intern” in the email subject line. Please submit your materials as soon as possible - the search will remain open until we find the right candidate. The anticipated start date is early June.