MSW Admissions Admission to the Master of Social Work program is highly competitive and limited to graduates of accredited colleges and university who have completed a well-rounded liberal arts program that included study in the humanities, social sciences, and human biology or related science.
- A grade point average of 3.0 or better on a 4-point scale is preferred.
- A strong performance in the junior and senior years of undergraduate study or in a postgraduate degree program, or strong employer references.
Applicants who have earned a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree within the past five years from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited program may be granted Advanced Standing, enabling them to qualify for a MSW in three semesters of full-time study.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.3 or better on a 4.0 point scale,
- 3.0 GPA in all undergraduate substantive courses is required.
- Advanced Standing applicants must also have at least a B+ average in their field practicum.
The deadline to complete an application is March 31st. This deadline includes all applicants for the 16-month program, the 32-month part-time program, and Advanced Standing program.
In addition to submitting an online application for admission to TSSW applicants must also submit the following documents or information:
- Personal Essay - You are required to submit a typewritten essay covering the material below.
- Trace the origin and development of your interest in social work as a professional, including any significant influences or experiences.
- What personal qualifications do you bring to the classroom and social work practice. Do you have any limitations that might affect your ability to practice social work?
- Discuss the way in which you have handled a social experience or personal situation that has had a significant emotional impact on you. How did this experience contribute to your knowledge of yourself and others?
- Discuss your experience working with multi-cultural populations other than your own identified race, religion or identifies background.
- Resume - It should be similar in structure to one you would submit for employment.
- Official Transcript(s) - One copy of official transcript from each college/university attended. Transcript(s) must be in sealed envelopes with the Registrar's signature across seal.
- References/Recommendations - Two (2) letters of reference/recommendation are required. Please select three individuals who know you well and have agreed to write a reference/recommendation for you. If you are presently working or have been engaged in volunteer work in human services, one letter should be submitted by your supervisor or employer. If you are currently a student, two (2) letters should be submitted by a faculty advisor or professor in your major area.
PLEASE NO PERSONAL REFERENCES/RECOMMENDATIONS FROM FAMILY, FRIENDS, CO-WORKERS AND/OR SOCIAL ACQUAINTANCES.
Reference/recommendation letters can be submitted via the application web site, mailed to the TSSW Office or to the email address below:
Tulane University School of Social Work #8906
127 Elk Place
New Orleans, LA 70112
Advanced Standing students must also submit their final field/internship evaluation signed by the student and supervisor.
City Year Sponsorship
City Year is proud to partner with Tulane University School of Social Work, a leading graduate school focused on clinical-community practice and promoting social and economic justice with more than 6,000 alumni worldwide, offering 25% annual tuition scholarships.