You are here
Ngawang Legshe, DSW, LCSW-BACS
Areas of Expertise:
- DSW from Tulane University School of Social Work
- MSW from Tulane University School of Social Work
- BA from Hampshire College
- Shastri from Central Institute of Higher Tibetan Studies (Tibetan University) in India
- Diploma in Tibetan Fine Arts from Central Institute of Higher Tibetan Studies (Tibetan University) in India
Dr. Ngawang Legshe, DSW, LCSW-BACS, is an educator, psychotherapist, and clinical supervisor. He was ordained by H.H. the Dalai Lama, was a Tibetan Buddhist monk for more than 20 years, and was a Kahn Buddhist fellow at Smith College. He has developed and taught cross cultural courses on social welfare, social movement, and mindfulness at Tulane University since 2005. He was the Louisiana ACT Director for RHD. He offers evidence-based multi-faceted treatment modalities to improve and optimize psycho emotional and mind-body balance. Compassion focused therapy, psycho-dynamic psychotherapy, T.E.A.M cognitive therapy, dialectical behavioral therapy methods are used to decrease symptoms and improve quality of life for adolescents, couples, families and groups. He has conducted wellness workshops and retreats using Buddhist psychology and psychoanalysis.
His research interests are program evaluation, evidence-based practice, chronic mental illness, addiction, complex trauma, dual diagnosis, death and dying, mind body practices with evidence-based clinical interventions, social movement, community-based NGOs, and innovative programs for vulnerable populations.
Publications / Presentations
The Effect of Mindfulness-Based Compassion Therapy on Pain and Mood Among Breast Cancer Survivors: AB Research Design. (submitted to the Journal of Mindfulness).
The Sequential Protocol of Mindfulness-Based Compassion Therapy. (Under review with Journal of Mindfulness).
Transitioning to Tele-psychiatry: Steps to Implementation and Lessons Learned. (2018). ACT Conference- Ontario Association of ACT and FACT.
Is Mindfulness Enough? Strength Through Compassion and Connection, Tulane University, New Orleans May 15, 2013
- Board of Director, Clearwater Sanctuary, Covington, LA
- President, Samten Choeling Center, New Orleans, LA
- Consultant, Louisiana Himalaya Association