Deadlines for Fall 2023 On Campus Dual Degree in Masters of Social Work/ Masters of Science in Disaster Resilience Leadership Academy:
Early submit - March 1st
Priority Submit - April 1st
Final submit - June 1st
Deposit deadline - June 15th
Deadlines for Fall 2023 Online Dual Master of Social Work / Masters of Science in Disaster Resilience Leadership Academy:
- Early submit - March 1st
- Priority Submit - April 1st
- Final submit - June 1st
- Deposit deadline - June 15th
Applicants to Tulane’s MSW/MS-DRL program must meet the following requirements:
- Demonstrate a strong performance in the junior and senior years of undergraduate study or in a postgraduate degree program or have strong employer references
- Possess a bachelor's degree
- A grade-point average of 3.0 or better on a 4-point scale (preferred)
Please note that while the GRE is an admission requirement for the MS-DRL degree, that requirement is waived for dual degree applicants.
In addition to submitting an online application for admission to the Tulane University School of Social Work, applicants to the MSW/MS-DRL program must also submit the following:
- Statement of Interest for MSW (social work field) - Three to five double-spaced pages that should include the following statement of purpose:
- The origin and development of your interest in social work as a profession, including any significant influences or experiences.
- The personal qualifications you bring to the classroom and social work practice, including any limitations that might affect your ability to practice social work
- The way in which you have handled a social experience or personal situation that has had a significant emotional impact on you, including how this experience contributed to your knowledge of yourself and others
- Your experience working with multi-cultural populations other than your own identified race, religion, or background.
- Statement of Interest for MS-DRL (disaster resilience field) - Three to five double-spaced pages that should include your reasons for pursuing the MS-DRL degree and intended career goals.
- Resume - It should be similar in structure to one you would submit for employment.
- Official Transcript(s) - One copy of official transcript from each college/university attended. Transcript(s) must be in sealed envelopes with the Registrar's signature across seal.
- References/Recommendations - A minimum of two (2) Letters of Recommendation (LORs) must be received. The recommenders will submit the letters of recommendation directly into the application portal. Applicants should select two individuals who know them well and have agreed to write a recommendation. As an applicant, keep the following guidelines in mind:
- If you are presently working or have been engaged in volunteer work in human services, one of the letters should be submitted by your supervisor or employer.
- If you are currently only a student, the two (2) letters should be submitted by a faculty advisor or professor in your major area.
- NO personal references (family, friends, social acquaintances, co-workers) will be accepted.
- We ask applicants to please have on hand the name, title, professional email address, phone number and relationship of each recommender.
Reference/recommendation letters can be submitted via the application website, mailed to the TSSW Office or to the email address below:
Tulane University School of Social Work #8906
127 Elk Place
New Orleans, LA 70112
More information on MSW Advanced Standing and Transfer Credit can be found here.
Admission Information for International Students:
Non-US citizens applying for admission must present satisfactory evidence of sufficient competence in English to read, write, speak and understand. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score report is required for each applicant whose native language is not English or if English was not the language of instruction at the institution where the applicant received his or her degree(s). Required minimum: 600 (paper version); 120 (computer based version); or 95 (internet based version). Official TOEFL test scores must be sent directly from the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to the DRLA Program via the Tulane School of Social Work, the code is: 6183. We also accept the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) in lieu of the TOEFL examination. For information about these exams, see http://web1.toefl.org
Take a Virtual Tour
Take a tour of Tulane School of Social Work's newly renovated building and learn how we're doing work that matters.