The deadline for the on-campus DSW program with a Fall 2021 start is March 31, 2021. The deadline for the online DSW program with a Fall 2021 start is July 12, 2021.
Admission to the DSW program is a competitive process. All applicants must have the following qualifications:
A Master's Degree in Social Work from a CSWE-accredited school.
A minimum grade point average of 3.3 in both undergraduate and graduate study.
Three or more years of social service agency employment or the equivalent experience post-masters.
In addition to submitting an online application for admission to the Tulane University School of Social Work, applicants for the Doctorate of Social Work program must also submit the following:
- Personal Essay - Three to five double-spaced pages that should include the following statement of purpose:
- The origin and development of your interest in social work as a profession, including any significant influences or experiences.
- What a DSW will do for you as a social worker, including how the degree will impact your career
- The ways in which you engage and will continue to engage in practice-based research during and after this program, including your specific areas of interest
- What you will do for the profession, including how the degree will enable you to impact individuals, your community, and/or your area of interest
- Professional Resume/CV - It should be similar in structure to one you would submit for employment.
- Official Transcript(s) - Applicants will need to complete the education history section in their online applications. Transcripts for all of their bachelor or post-bachelor institutions (domestic and international) should be entered and must be received prior to going to review.
- Important notes:
- Unofficial copies of transcripts can be uploaded to an application as PDF files. Applicants upload one PDF transcript for each school that they have attended.
- Official transcripts must be sent and received by a university representative.
- Transfer credits on transcripts:
- Official transcripts from the institution where credits were obtained must be submitted in order for credits to be reviewed for transfer. Only credits earned within the previous five years are eligible for transfer.
- Course descriptions and syllabi for courses applicants wish to transfer must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- International transcripts will need to be evaluated to show equivalency of the U.S. four-year degree. Applicants are asked to please include a WES evaluation with their transcripts.
- Applicants may submit their official transcripts either electronically or through traditional mail.
- Electronic official transcripts can be sent to: email@example.com
- Hard-copy transcripts can be mailed to: Tulane University School of Social Work, Admissions Department, 127 Elk Place, New Orleans, LA 70112
- Important notes:
- References/Recommendations - A minimum of two (2) Letters of Recommendation (LORs) must be received. The recommenders will submit the letters of recommendation directly into the application portal. Applicants should select two individuals who know them well and have agreed to write a recommendation. As an applicant, keep the following guidelines in mind:
- If you are presently working or have been engaged in volunteer work in human services, one of the letters should be submitted by your supervisor or employer.
- If you are currently only a student, the two (2) letters should be submitted by a faculty advisor or professor in your major area.
- NO personal references (family, friends, social acquaintances, co-workers) will be accepted.
- We ask applicants to please have on hand the name, title, professional email address, phone number and relationship of each recommender.
- Optional Materials
- Copies of any publications or research
- A professional or academic writing sample
- For non-native English speakers, TOEFL scores should be submitted. Acceptable TOEFL scores are 600 for the paper version, 120 for the computer version and 95 for the web version.
Reference/recommendation letters can be submitted via the application web site, mailed to the TSSW Office or to the email address below:
Tulane University School of Social Work #8906
127 Elk Place
New Orleans, LA 70112
Take a Virtual Tour
Take a tour of Tulane School of Social Work's newly renovated building and learn how we're doing work that matters.