The deadline for on-campus programs with Fall 2020 start is June 1, 2020. This includes full-time applicants as well as those applying for Advanced Standing.
The deadlines for online programs with Fall 2020 starts are as follows. This includes full-time, part-time, and Advanced Standing candidates.
Priority Deadline for online MSW Fall 2020 start:
July 13, 2020
Deadline for online MSW Fall 2020 start:
July 29, 2020
Priority Deadline for online MSW Advanced Standing with Spring 2021 start:
July 13, 2020
Deadline for online MSW Advanced Standing with Spring 2021 start:
July 29, 2020
Applicants to Tulane’s online MSW program must meet the following requirements:
- Demonstrate a strong performance in the junior and senior years of undergraduate study or in a postgraduate degree program or have strong employer references
- Possess a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree in a liberal arts-related field
- A grade-point average of 3.0 or better on a 4-point scale (preferred)
In addition to submitting an online application for admission to the Tulane University School of Social Work, applicants to the Master of Social Work program must also submit the following:
- Personal Essay - Three to five double-spaced pages that should include the following statement of purpose:
- The origin and development of your interest in social work as a profession, including any significant influences or experiences.
- The personal qualifications you bring to the classroom and social work practice, including any limitations that might affect your ability to practice social work
- The way in which you have handled a social experience or personal situation that has had a significant emotional impact on you, including how this experience contributed to your knowledge of yourself and others
- Your experience working with multi-cultural populations other than your own identified race, religion, or background.
- Resume - It should be similar in structure to one you would submit for employment.
- Official Transcript(s) - One copy of official transcript from each college/university attended. Transcript(s) must be in sealed envelopes with the Registrar's signature across seal.
- References/Recommendations - A minimum of two (2) Letters of Recommendation (LORs) must be received. The recommenders will submit the letters of recommendation directly into the application portal. Applicants should select two individuals who know them well and have agreed to write a recommendation. As an applicant, keep the following guidelines in mind:
- If you are presently working or have been engaged in volunteer work in human services, one of the letters should be submitted by your supervisor or employer.
- If you are currently only a student, the two (2) letters should be submitted by a faculty advisor or professor in your major area.
- NO personal references (family, friends, social acquaintances, co-workers) will be accepted.
- We ask applicants to please have on hand the name, title, professional email address, phone number and relationship of each recommender.
Reference/recommendation letters can be submitted via the application web site, mailed to the TSSW Office or to the email address below:
Tulane University School of Social Work #8906
127 Elk Place
New Orleans, LA 70112
Advanced Standing students must also submit their final field/internship evaluation signed by the student and supervisor.
Applicants who have earned a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree within the past five years from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited program may be granted Advanced Standing, enabling them to qualify for a MSW in three semesters of full-time study. Advanced standing requirements include
- Cumulative GPA of 3.3 or better on a 4.0 point scale,
- 3.0 GPA in all undergraduate substantive courses is required.
- B+ average in their field practicum.
The MSW can only accept transfer credits from other CSWE-accredited MSW programs at the time students attended. Review our Transfer Credit Policy here.
Take a Virtual Tour
Take a tour of Tulane School of Social Work's newly renovated building and learn how we're doing work that matters.